From Camarillo to Columbus

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Surrogacy

I can't imagine my life without my kids anymore. I sometimes wish I didn't have them so I could be alone at times but would never give them up for the single life again. They mean the world to me. So when my mom told me that her friend couldn't have children I felt awful. She said that her friend Coolen had been trying for years to have kids and went to a specialist and found out that there was something wrong with her fallopian tubes/ovaries and couldn't produce eggs. At this time, I didn't have Diego and missed the pregnancy feelings. I had been thinking about being a surrogate for a little while so I told her that I would try to help her out in any way I could. I wasn't with Julian so I didn't have to worry about what he would think. I went and met with her and her husband. I really liked them and we created a contract. I knew it would be biologically mine because she couldn't produce the eggs. I told her I wouldn't try to contact the child unless it was okay with her. A month later we did our first insemination. We knew that there was a possiblity of it not taking for the first few tries. Well it didn't work and so the next time they did it they started me on hormones. It kinda made me nauseas but I still took them for 3 months during which I was still being insemenated. Unfortunately, the 5 months of trying really disapointed Coolen and her husband. She decided that it was time to stop treatments and the disappointment. I understood and felt bad that I couldn't help her. I found out later that she didn't think that I was producing eggs myself and just taking the money. Which is funny because I obviously produced them because I had my son, Gabriel a few years earlier. And as for money I made enough at my job to not need any from her since the $200 she gave me didn't amount to much compared to my check from Verizon. I stopped treatment in Dec and got pregnant in Feb. When my mom told Coolen that I was pregnant she was crushed. All this time she was accusing me and then I got pregnant. I wish that she could have the child she desired but my mom told me that it just wasn't meant to be. I think I would like to be a surrogate again sometime in the future. I loved the feelings of pregnancy and having children is such an important thing in my life. Well I am glad that I tried to help someone regardless of her feelings after. Hopefully she will get her wish someday.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is one of the the most selfless acts I have ever heard! You are so generous to offer someone your body, and your eggs, as a surrogate. Wow! I have a friend who can't stay pregnant and they have decided to adopt. I wish that I could have been there for them, the way you did for your friend. My hats off to you.

     
  • At 9:27 AM , Blogger Sheri C said...

    Wow! I don't know that I could do that and not have an attachment to the child knowing it was half of me. I think the closest I could do (if even this) would be to donate my eggs. Even then you would have people walking around the earth with half of your genes and wouldn't even know it. That is such a hard subject. I'd always said that if my sister couldn't have had kids I would have been "the incubator" for their eggs and their husbands sperm but then I would have a relationship with this child afterward and it wouldn't have come from my egg. Kudos to you for trying to help someone like that!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home