Thanksgiving?
What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?
This is one of those times that I am really gonna miss my family. We always got together at my mom's house to have dinner. Only it was always around lunch time that everything was ready. It was one of the few times my family got together without arguing. It was Thanksgiving and Christmas that did that for us.
When my grandma was around she would sit on the edge of the couch as she always did and tell us stories of how we were as kids. A lot of it I think she made up because I didn't remember any of what she was saying. But it was still funny to listen to. My mom would put the turkey in mad early in the morning and just keep basting it throughout the day. She would never let us in the kitchen because she knew that we would be sampling whatever she was making at the time. She made her own rolls and I would try to sneak peeks while they were rising but mom would swat my hands.
As I grew older and my grandma past away, I got to help my mom. I would peel the potatoes for the mashed potatoes. Smash the sweet potatoes for the candied yams...love crunchy marshmallows on top...lol. I would always get grossed out when mom would boil the neck and stuff from the turkey and not sure what she used it for the stuffing or the gravy...eww. But it was always good just gross to think about.
The guys would go out in the garage and watch whatever football game was on at the time and the girls would sit in the living room and watch the kids run around and just chat. It was nice chatting. As you guys know my sister and I don't always see eye to eye but it was one moment I enjoyed. We would crack on each other and it knew it wasn't gonna lead to a big confrontation. Just the though brings a smile to my face.
I never made any of the helpings for the dinner but I always made the pies to take to Julian's parents house. They would always ask for like 3 pies since the family always went to their house for dessert. They were easy pies to make so I loved it because then they would always ask for more. I loved making the chocolate double layer one...chocolate rocks. But this year they don't have anyone to make their pies. The night before Thanksgiving I would be running around my kitchen trying to make like 5 pies. It was fun for me because I felt needed for a few minutes. And then I would make cookies or something too. I love baking and such so it was fun work. Gabriel would just want to eat the dough...and the chocolate chips. And the last year my brother would ask for a piece of pie. Thus the reason I made 5. 3 for Julian's family, 1 for mine and 1 for my brother...lol.
Not sure what we have planned for this year. I know whatever we do I am having sweet potato something...lol. I love turkey too but don't know how to make it. I might go buy one of those butterball turkeys that self baste or something...can you imagine the leftovers...the boys and I only eat the white meat and Julian can have the dark...lol. Sounds good to me.
This is one of those times that I am really gonna miss my family. We always got together at my mom's house to have dinner. Only it was always around lunch time that everything was ready. It was one of the few times my family got together without arguing. It was Thanksgiving and Christmas that did that for us.
When my grandma was around she would sit on the edge of the couch as she always did and tell us stories of how we were as kids. A lot of it I think she made up because I didn't remember any of what she was saying. But it was still funny to listen to. My mom would put the turkey in mad early in the morning and just keep basting it throughout the day. She would never let us in the kitchen because she knew that we would be sampling whatever she was making at the time. She made her own rolls and I would try to sneak peeks while they were rising but mom would swat my hands.
As I grew older and my grandma past away, I got to help my mom. I would peel the potatoes for the mashed potatoes. Smash the sweet potatoes for the candied yams...love crunchy marshmallows on top...lol. I would always get grossed out when mom would boil the neck and stuff from the turkey and not sure what she used it for the stuffing or the gravy...eww. But it was always good just gross to think about.
The guys would go out in the garage and watch whatever football game was on at the time and the girls would sit in the living room and watch the kids run around and just chat. It was nice chatting. As you guys know my sister and I don't always see eye to eye but it was one moment I enjoyed. We would crack on each other and it knew it wasn't gonna lead to a big confrontation. Just the though brings a smile to my face.
I never made any of the helpings for the dinner but I always made the pies to take to Julian's parents house. They would always ask for like 3 pies since the family always went to their house for dessert. They were easy pies to make so I loved it because then they would always ask for more. I loved making the chocolate double layer one...chocolate rocks. But this year they don't have anyone to make their pies. The night before Thanksgiving I would be running around my kitchen trying to make like 5 pies. It was fun for me because I felt needed for a few minutes. And then I would make cookies or something too. I love baking and such so it was fun work. Gabriel would just want to eat the dough...and the chocolate chips. And the last year my brother would ask for a piece of pie. Thus the reason I made 5. 3 for Julian's family, 1 for mine and 1 for my brother...lol.
Not sure what we have planned for this year. I know whatever we do I am having sweet potato something...lol. I love turkey too but don't know how to make it. I might go buy one of those butterball turkeys that self baste or something...can you imagine the leftovers...the boys and I only eat the white meat and Julian can have the dark...lol. Sounds good to me.

2 Comments:
At 4:42 AM ,
Sean Carter said...
Thanksgiving is approaching fast and we are all getting really busy preparing for it. It's athe time for the entire family to get together and enjoy a grand dinner and lots of fun. Well since you are also getting busy preparing for the grand celebrations, you can visit this
Thanksgiving Blog and find out many ideas and suggestions which is sure to make your Thanksgiving celebrations a memorable one.
At 8:12 AM ,
Sheri C said...
OK I don't know who your other comment is from LOL! Harold is going with Deon to Mississippi to go hunting so my in laws are planning on coming here. You guys are welcome to come, we'll have the traditional Thanksgiving dinner with turkey and all the trimmings. I don't know what I'll make, probably not much since they think I can't cook, well at least like like them anyway. I can but shhh don't tell anyone! I always cooked at my moms so it will be a nice change. I can tell you how to cook sweet potatoes and make sweet potato pie if you want to make your own. How'd you like that turkey dressing from the craft fair? I thought it was good! That is one thing I've never tried making, I've made stuffing but not dressing. I'll have to learn that one! I do make a mean rum cake though!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home